Friday, January 21, 2011

Archbishop-elect Savio Hon Tai-Fai, SDB: “a builder of bridges with China”

The following comes from the Salesian News Agency:

The Chinese Salesian archbishop-elect Savio Hon Tai-Fai, recently appointed by Pope Benedict XVI as secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, assumed his new office on January 21. “I would like to be a builder of bridges with China,” he said.

In an interview with the Fides Agency, in connection with his new role he said: “I thank the Holy Father Benedict XVI for having chosen me and especially for the concern and love he shows for Asia and for China in particular. I would also like to thank Cardinal Ivan Dias, prefect of the Propaganda Fide Department, for having welcomed me with great joy and cordiality. I notice that within the Congregation the atmosphere is very good, and I am very happy about this: I will be able to work with the collaboration of very competent people.”

He also expressed his great desire concerning his role in the missionary department: “In this, my new and delicate role, I would like to be an instrument in building bridges with China. At the beginning of this task I am very excited, and I am also aware of the responsibility of this role which covers such a broad field: taking care of the pastoral life of over 1,000 ecclesiastical areas. I hope that the evangelization of the Church and the missionary work of this Congregation can be given a fresh impetus, especially with regard to those countries of ancient traditions and cultures, such as China and India.”

No comments: