Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lourdes: A Place of Love


I think if there is a place in the world that I really feel called to visit it would have to be Lourdes! I do admit that I enjoy traveling and there are a good many places that I would still like to see, but none of them have the same spiritual pull for me as Lourdes. I suppose it is because my birthday is on her feast day (February 11) and I have always felt a strong connection for that reason. A second reason might be that I was so strongly influenced by the culture of New Orleans which is still very influenced by the French Catholic traditions. Also, I have always been so impressed by the simple peasant girl Bernadette who so sincerely responded to the call of God despite the many sufferings it cost her. Finally there is the mystery of those miraculous waters. Lourdes is a place that calls to mind healing... something all of us need at one level or another. As we continue in this month of May and we remember to honor our Blessed Mother in a special way perhaps we can ask for the gift to be more like that simple girl Bernadette. God willing I will make my way to Lourdes one day. Until then we can go there spiritually any time we choose! Keep smiling and God bless!

No comments: