Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Leaving Pro Soccer for the Priesthood!


Have you heard the story Chase Hilgenbrinck of the New England Revolution? He has decided to leave pro soccer for the priesthood! Here are some of his words on the subject:

“I felt called to something greater,” Hilgenbrinck said. “At one time I thought that call might be professional soccer. In the past few years, I found my soul is hungry for something else. I discerned, through prayer, that it was calling me to the Catholic Church. I do not want this call to pass me by.”

When he was playing professional soccer in Chile, Chase Hilgenbrinck would seek comfort in the churches to satisfy his spiritual needs and remind him of childhood Sundays spent at Holy Trinity in his hometown of Bloomington, Ill.

“It’s not that I’m ready to leave soccer. I still have a great passion for the game,” he said in a telephone interview. “I wouldn’t leave the game for just any other job. I’m moving on for the Lord. I want to do the will of the Lord, I want to do what he wants for me, not what I want to do for myself.”


For more on this impressive story check out the Roman Catholic Vocations Blog!

No comments: