Thursday, November 19, 2009

St. Dominic Savio and the Conversion of England

With all of the talk of Anglicans seeking to join the Catholic Church I was reminded of the vision and prayer of St. Dominic Savio. Maybe we are seeing the darkness disappear as Dominic foretold it? In 1857 St. John Bosco related to Blessed Pius IX a vision of St. Dominic Savio:

'One morning, while I was doing my thanksgiving after Holy Communion, I was taken by a strong distraction. It seemed that I was on a very vast flat land surface, full of people surrounded by thick darkness. They were walking, but did so as though they had lost their way and could not see where they set their feet. Someone beside me said, "This region is England."

'Then I saw the Supreme Pontiff, Pius IX. He was dressed in a majestic fashion, carrying in his hands a splendorous light, and advancing amidst the multitude of people. As He advanced, the darkness gradually disappeared and the people were bathed with so much light that it seemed noon time.

'The friend said, "This light is the Catholic Religion, which must illuminate England." '


Pius IX said to Don Bosco: "This narration confirms in me my determination to work without rest in favor of England, which is already the object of all my solicitudes."

(From the Biographical Memiors of St. John Bosco)

3 comments:

Kindred Spirit said...

As much as I have loved Saint John Bosco and Saint Dominic Savio and England, I had never heard this story. Thank you so very much for posting this, Father. Such wonderful news!

Padre Steve said...

St. Dominic Savio and St. John Bosco are such wonderful treasures! We are blessed to have them in our Salesian Family!

Kindred Spirit said...

Yes, indeed, Father. May God bless your excellent work in the fine Salesian order!