Monday, November 5, 2012

George Washington's Prayer for the Nation

George Washington's prayer for the nation:O eternal and everlasting God, I presume to present myself this morning before thy Divine majesty, beseeching thee to accept of my humble and hearty thanks, that it hath pleased thy great goodness to keep and preserve me the night past from all the dangers poor mortals are subject to, and has given me sweet and pleasant sleep, whereby I find my body refreshed and comforted for performing the duties of this day, in which I beseech thee to defend me from all perils of body and soul. Direct my thoughts, words and work, wash away my sins in the immaculate blood of the Lamb, and purge my heart by thy Holy Spirit, from the dross of my natural corruption, that I may with more freedom of mind and liberty of will serve thee, the ever lasting God, in righteousness and holiness this day, and all the days of my life. Increase my faith in the sweet promises of the gospel; give me repentance from dead works; pardon my wanderings, and direct my thoughts unto thyself, the God of my salvation; teach me how to live in thy fear, labor in thy service, and ever to run in the ways of thy commandments; make me always watchful over my heart, that neither the terrors of conscience, the loathing of holy duties, the love of sin, nor an unwillingness to depart this life, may cast me into a spiritual slumber, but daily frame me more and more into the likeness of thy son Jesus Christ, that living in thy fear, and dying in thy favor, I may in thy appointed time attain the resurrection of the just unto eternal life. Bless my family, friends and kindred unite us all in praising and glorifying thee in all our works begun, continued, and ended, when we shall come to make our last account before thee blessed Saviour…
Hat tip to Thus saith the Lord blog.

2 comments:

Carlos Echevarria said...

I love the Father of our Glorious Republic...did you see Newt with O'Reilly celebrating Washington, via a new book!!!

Catholic Knight, God bless him, LOL, takes a jaundiced view here:

http://catholicknight.blogspot.com/2009/10/america-is-masonic-nation.html

I don't agree with all his analysis, however, there is much validity to his arguments, as per the Deist/Masonic influences.

BTW, your Saints came to my hometown and romped, congrats (i am a Raiders fan, yes they stink)...will you take a reformed Raiders fan, on board???

Padre Steve said...

Carlos, come on over to the Saints! We have room for more fans! I was hoping Russell would do better for Oakland (since he is an LSU product). I guess time will tell if he can develop into an NFL starter.