Sunday, September 22, 2013

I Shall Not Want by Audrey Assad


Hat tip to Brutally Honest:
The singer is Audrey Assad and she reveals a little about herself in this dated interview with Tony Rossi:
In 2007, you converted to Catholicism. The Church, a lot of times, gets knocked for being behind AudreyAssadthe times, having too many rules. Yet you chose to embrace this Church. Why? How did you see through the fog of what the culture says about the Church to find there was something of value there?

I met a Catholic. I was taught a lot of untruth about the Catholic Church -- you know, the classic "whore of Babylon" and Catholics aren't Christians, all that stuff. And growing up in Italian-Irish Catholic New Jersey, it was certainly plausible because everybody that I knew was Catholic and most of them didn't go to Mass, so I just assumed things. I think what enabled me to see through that was a person, a living person who shattered all those pre-conceived notions with his knowledge and his zeal and, foremost, his passion for Christ. That was what initially jolted me out of my opinions about the Catholic Church. Then from there, the teachings slowly just won me. It was the Eucharist ultimately, the teaching on Communion, that won my heart. I think I knew at the beginning when I started reading about it that if that was true, I had to sign up for that.
In case you're wondering, and because the song is made even more beautiful when you pray the lyrics, here they are:
From the love of my own comfort 
From the fear of having nothing 
From a life of worldly passions 
Deliver me O God 

From the need to be understood 
From the need to be accepted 
From the fear of being lonely 
Deliver me O God 
Deliver me O God 

And I shall not want, I shall not want 
when I taste Your goodness I shall not want 
when I taste Your goodness I shall not want 

From the fear of serving others 
From the fear of death or trial 
From the fear of humility 
Deliver me O God 
Deliver me O God

No comments: