Friday, March 5, 2010

Pope John Paul II and the Miraculous Cure of a Nun


Pope John Paul II could be on his way to sainthood after a French nun claimed he cured her Parkinson's disease with a miracle.

Sister Marie Simon Pierre was diagnosed with the debilitating condition in 2001, and was soon in its grip. Driving became practically impossible for the nun, she had difficulty walking, and her left arm hung limply at her side. Exactly two months after Pope John Paul died Sister Marie woke hearing a voice and found her disease had disappeared.She said:

"I called sister Marie Thomas, my superior, and I told her 'look, John Paul II has cured me as I can write again'."

From that day, I haven't taken any more medicine and my life has completely changed. For me, it is a bit like a second birth.

"The crowds at the Pope's funeral in 2005 chanted "santo subito" which translates as "sainthood now" and if this miracle is proved then he could be on his way. Certain criteria need to be met before you can be a saint. Normally a period of 5 years has to pass - though the the new pontiff has waived that. John Paul's life and writings also need to be studied for its virtues. Most importantly there must be a miracle attributed to him and if the Vatican confirms this one, the devoted crowds in St Peter's square might get their wish.

No comments: