Friday, June 25, 2010

A letter of thanks from the Pope to the Salesians

The following comes from the Salesian News Agency:

Benedict XVI has expressed his pleasure at the “warm sentiments of filial devotion and spiritual closeness” sent to him by the Rector Major, Fr Pascual Chávez, and the Salesian bishops in their letter at the end of May. A “thoughtful expression of solidarity, shown in a difficult situation also for the whole Church” which evoked the gratitude of the Holy Father.

Very Reverend
Fr Pascual Chávez Villanueva S.D.B., Rector Major,
Salesian Society of Saint John Bosco

I was delighted to receive the cordial letter of 24 May, in which you wished to convey to me the warm sentiments of filial devotion and spiritual closeness of the Cardinals and Venerable Brother Bishops belonging to the Salesian Family, gathered together in Castelnuovo Don Bosco for a charming moment of family celebration which you organised and at which my Secretary of State, dear Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone presided.

This thoughtful expression of solidarity, shown in a difficult situation also for the whole Church, has produced in me a sincere sense of gratitude, also because it is sign of that deep communion and that ardent affection which the spiritual Sons of Saint John Bosco have also nourished for the Successor of Peter.

Therefore, I want to respond to your message, which I greatly appreciate, with the assurance of a constant remembrance in my prayers, with which I very willingly accompany the praiseworthy proposals for a spiritual renewal and an ever more convinced attachment to the Gospe, demonstrated, in the name of the whole Institute, by yourself and by all those who have taken part in this significant meeting.

I invoke the maternal protection of Mary Help of Christians on you and on the Venerable Brothers, Cardinals and Bishops, who associated themselves with the expressions of devotion, so that each one may continue to serve the Lord and the brethren with joy, bringing to fulfilment His every good work. With these wishes and as a sign of my paternal solicitude, I heartily impart a special Apostolic Blessing, which I willingly extend to the whole Congregation.

From the Vatican, 14 June 2010

No comments: