Thursday, June 4, 2009

Glorious and Tragic: Pickett's Charge and Little Round Top

I am spending some time at the Gettysburg Museum and thought you might like to get into the spirit!

As if marching an entire mile wasn't exhausting enough, the lines of Pickett, Pettigrew, and Trimble's Divisions were ripped apart by Union artillery and infantry. Holes were torn in the Confederate lines. At one point, the Union troops began to try and flank the marching Confederates.

Little could be done by the Confederate forces but continue to march, and push the presumably decimated Federal lines back, thus breaking them and sending them into a panic-stricken rout. We know that wasn't meant to be.


The best part of the Gettysburg movie is the charge of the 20th Maine on Little Round Top. Joshua Chamberlain and his troops fought like heroes for sure. Even a Southerner like me can appreciate there heroism!

1 comment:

Chris Osgood said...

Great movie! I have always wanted to go visit the battle field, but everytime I drive by it, it is after midnight.

One day I will make it there!

(take some pics for me)!