Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Basilica of Saint Peter at the Vatican


The Basilica of Saint Peter (Latin: Basilica Sancti Petri), officially known in Italian as the Basilica di San Pietro in Vaticano and commonly known as St. Peter's Basilica, is located within the Vatican City.it is the burial site of its namesake Saint Peter, who was one of the twelve apostles of Jesus and,was the first Bishop of Antioch, and later first Bishop of Rome and therefore first in the line of the papal succession. While St. Peter's is the most famous of Rome's many churches, it is not the first in rank, an honour held by the Pope's cathedral church, the Basilica of St. John Lateran.

Saint Peter's tomb is below the altar of the basilica. For this reason, many Popes, starting with the first ones, have been buried there. There has been a church on this site since the 4th century.

1 comment:

Carlos Echevarria said...

Father, your posts just get better by the day, I am going to cross post this on my site, with attribution, of course.

I can't wait to go next summer to Rome, as I indicated and don't fret I will remember your request!

BTW, I know it is not official anymore but Happy St. Barbara's Day, to the Cuban American community in Miami and me, personally, she is very strong & powerful. (i posted about her today)